If you use Growbots to generate prospects for your campaigns you probably want to avoid contacting your current customers, competitors and other prospects.
What we want to focus on in this article is how to prevent such prospects from being generated. If you want to delete or reject prospects that are already in Growbots check this article about managing your prospects.
There are two main approaches to excluding prospects that we’ll cover:
- Excluding individual prospects
- Excluding whole companies
Excluding individual prospects from being generated
If you'd like to exclude individual contacts only from being generated, please contact our support team or send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org. Don't forget to attach a CSV file with email addresses of the prospects you'd like to exclude - we'll make sure you won't generate them in the app. You can also import their email addresses as prospects to Growbots (create a new project called e.g. Do not contact project) if the file is not bigger than 5 MB.
Excluding individual prospects from being generated and imported
If you'd like to exclude individual prospects from being generated and accidentally imported once again, import their email addresses as prospects to Growbots. Remember to use only business emails, based on the company domain names. We recommend naming your campaign Do Not Contact and uploading all the contacts you want to exclude there.
Once a prospect is loaded to Growbots, you don’t need to worry about generating them again in another campaign - we only allow for one copy of a prospect on your Growbots account.
Excluding entire companies
You can exclude entire companies by uploading a list of their domain names. This way you can ensure that prospects from this company will not be generated in your Growbots projects. Start by creating a file containing the domains.
Preparing a CSV file
Your CRM most likely offers an option of mass exporting all your contacts as a file.
- Log in to your CRM and download a CSV file with the contact details of your leads and clients.
- Growbots only requires a company’s domain for deduplication. The file can contain other columns as well and they shouldn’t impact the upload, however, we recommend deleting all columns except for the one containing the domains of companies you wish to exclude in your communications.
- The records should not contain 'http', 'www', slashes '/', etc.
Correct example: growbots.com.
Incorrect example: https://www.growbots.com/.
- Rename the header of the column that contains domain names to 'website' - note the lowercase 'w'!
- Although Growbots requires a company’s domain name, you can also use an email address that contains the domain name and the system will extract it.
- If you’re unsure if your file is formatted correctly, take a look at the sample do-not-contact list.
NOTE: Do-Not-Contact list will not exclude imported prospects from being contacted, so if you e.g. have company.com in your Do-Not-Contact list and you'll import a CSV file with email@example.com email address to your project - this person will not be excluded.
Uploading a Company Do-Not-Contact list
Once you have the list ready, you need to upload it to the system. Only the Growbots admin can upload a do-not-contact list.
- Navigate to Settings → Exclusions.
- Click Upload CSV file.
- Select the CSV file you want to upload.
- Once the file is uploaded, the do-not-contact list will appear in the Uploaded files underneath the Upload CSV file button.
- And that’s it! The domains from the file will now be excluded in all future searches.