You can add a Gmail alias only when the parent account has 2 Factor Authentication turned on.
How to turn 2FA on
1. Open Sign-in & Security section for your account.
2. Go to Signing in to Google section and choose 2-Step Verification:
3. Choose GET STARTED button and follow Gmail's instructions.
How to connect Gmail alias
Your main account email@example.com and it has 2FA turned on.
- Go to the Settings, choose Integrations tab and click on OTHER
- Enter your alias (firstname.lastname@example.org in our case) in the Email field.
- Enter your main (parent) email (email@example.com in our case) in the IMAP Username field (please remember that SMTP uses same username and password as IMAP should be checked- just like in the screenshot).
- Enter your app password generated by Gmail into the IMAP Password field (if 2 Factor Authentication is enabled then you need to generate special app password, we'll describe how to do it in the section below).
- Fill out all other fields as normal:
How to generate the special 16-character Gmail password
|When you have enabled 2 Factor Authentication, then a special 16 characters app password is required. This password is generated by Gmail, please see details below:|
- In Gmail, click on your avatar in the top right corner and head over to My Account, it will redirect you here: https://myaccount.google.com/
- You should see 3 tabs (could be more if you’re Gmail Suite admin), you need to find Sign in & Security tab, click on Signing in to Google which should redirect you here: https://myaccount.google.com/security
- You’ll see a Password & sign-in method section, there should be a list of methods along with App Passwords section, click on it and you should get redirected here: https://myaccount.google.com/apppasswords (please note that you won’t see it when 2FA is turned off)
- You’ll be prompted to enter your password.
- In the App Passwords section you’ll see: Select the app and device you want to generate the app password for. There will be a Select app drop-down, you need to select Other (Custom name) and type Growbots
- Click on Generate and you should see something like this, just take the 16 characters password (it’s displayed as 4 sets of 4 characters separated by spaces, but they’re not part of the password) and enter it when connecting the new channel (alias)